Works under the Director of Nursing in the Doak Walker House or the Health & Wellness Director of Assisted Living and Memory Care to provide and direct resident care in accordance with Casey’s Pond policies and procedures. May supervise certified nursing assistants. Promotes quality service in accordance with Casey’s Pond, state and federal regulations.
- Treats residents and guests in a manner to ensure their complete satisfaction and strives to exceed customer expectations; incorporates principles of EDEN in all activities.
- Participates in physician rounds and notes orders written.
- Documents/reports care provided and resident observations including unusual or significant changes in physical, mental, or behavioral conditions.
- Makes daily staff assignments and changes as needed.
- Assigns and administers medications, treatments, IV’s, Tube feedings as ordered.
- Evaluates lab and x-ray results; notifies physician of acute illness and abnormal lab and x-ray reports; enter orders on computer system.
- Responds to emergency calls, resident/visitor’s requests and corrects environmental hazards in an appropriate and safe manner.
- Obtains/performs vital signs and heights and weights.
- Examines resident records/charts to discriminate between normal and abnormal findings; recognizes when to refer the resident to a physician for evaluation.
- Initiates requests for consultation or referral and responds to requests from the resident, physician, or nursing staff.
- Performs administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc.
- Notifies Social Services or residents families of falls or changes in condition.
- Provides stand-by assist or reminders with activities of daily living such as grooming; oral hygiene; bath/shower; hair; maintaining the personal environment
- Performs clinical procedures according to facility standards.
- Maintains a working knowledge of facility infection control procedures.
- Maintains educational development in compliance with state and federal regulations and current knowledge of resident care practices.
- Utilizes sound judgment and experience to solve complex problems in adherence with Casey’s Pond Employee Handbook and Behavioral Code of Ethics.
- Performs other duties as assigned in line with HIPAA compliance.
Note: This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his her supervisor.
Education and Experience
- Graduate of an accredited RN or LPN program
- At least one year nursing experience in geriatric/ long term care is preferred
- CO RN or LPN License
- CPR certification required
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, feel, reach, bend, stoop, crouch, talk, hear, and see
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 lbs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for interacting with residents, guest and fellow associates
- Possible exposure to blood-born pathogens, various drugs, chemical, infectious, communicable diseases or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
- Weekend, evening or night work as needed to ensure shift coverage
Uses independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of nursing discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the organization, work environment and process. Must have working knowledge of facility emergency procedures including fire and disaster drills. Ability to follow facility policies. Ability to maintain resident confidentiality and adhere to HIPAA policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.