Assist the Director of Nursing (DON) in various functions including assessment of clinical education needs and implementing appropriate actions. Assists in the supervision and development of nursing staff. Act as lead of infection control, psychotropic and wound management and other clinical quality indicators as appropriate.
- Assists in encouraging, participating and integrating Eden Alternative initiatives by supporting successful aging and person-centered programs and culture.
- Ensures that all employees possess and maintain proper assessment and clinical skills to deliver high quality resident care.
- Identifies strategies to improve nursing performance in clinical practice.
- Creates educational programs to maintain and improve staff competence, skills and expertise by applying evidence-based principles and practices. Evaluates staff on educational/clinical skills and tracks competencies for compliance based on federal, state and local regulations and company policies.
- Plans and assists with the development of instructional modules. Coordinates the implementation of assigned educational topics to support individual development and organization goals.
- Assists with creation of clinical orientation for new employees in order to build knowledge, skills development and clinical competence.
- Plans and implements educational activities to support individual development and sets goals to develop skills required by a proficient clinician.
- Provides feedback regarding staff progress.
- Creates, develops and updates educational materials on a regular and consistent basis.
- Development and document competency assessment and mentoring activities of preceptors.
- Coordinates the work of team members to meet resident goals and expectations.
- Assists to ensure effective communication both internally and externally to foster continuity of care.
- Assists the DON in clinical oversight through on going supervision of clinical staff to ensure the provisions of a continuous high quality of care in the Doak Walker House.
- Assists with evaluating and supervising resident care and making recommendations/changes as required.
- Monitor delivery of care by nursing staff. Implement corrective action as necessary.
- Participate in review of quality indicator reports and implement corrective action as necessary to include QAPI for hospital readmissions.
- Implements utilization of Matrix software and INTERACT tools with staff to promote improved care practices, better communication and reports.
- Follows current budget guidelines. Demonstrates prudent resource utilization in planning and implementing educational activities.
- Serves as acting Director of Nursing when necessary.
- Responsible to assisting the DON in managing team members to include providing coaching and training, corrective action planning, goal setting, interviewing applicants and conducting performance appraisals.
- Accepts the responsibility of “Nurse Manger on Call” and MOD “Manager on Call” on a rotating basis with other assigned team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Utilize sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems in adherence with Casey’s Pond Associate Handbook and Behavioral Code of Ethics.
- Perform other duties as assigned in line with HIPAA compliance.
Note: This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Education as required to obtain state nursing license (LPN/LVN or RN) and a minimum of 3 years relevant experience. BSN or MSN preferred. Must have working knowledge of electronic medical records/resident charting systems.
- CO RN
- CPR certification required
- MSN preferred
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, feel, reach, bend, stoop, crouch, talk, hear, and see
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 lbs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for interacting with residents, guest and fellow associates
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens, various drugs, chemical, infectious, communicable diseases or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
- Weekend, evening or night work as needed to ensure shift coverage
Uses independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to DON and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Basic typing and computer skills are essential preferably in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must have working knowledge of facility emergency procedures including fire and disaster drills. Ability to follow facility policies. Ability to maintain resident confidentiality and adhere to HIPAA policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.